Pages

Prince Lestat by Anne Rice



Reviewed by Desere


I have never read anything from this author, but I have heard many opinions about her work, most of those opinions have never been good. I have heard she writes stories that blur the mind , confuse the reader and that her characters are usually somewhat unemotional.

Therefore in all honesty I did not look forward to this book too much, am delighted to report I found none of the opinions I heard and instead found an amazing story with brilliantly developed characters and an author with a fantastic writing style.

The read starts with the author letting us in on the Vampire world, which is in a major crisis. Vampires have been proliferating out of control, burnings have commenced all over the world, huge massacres similar to those carried  out. Old vampires are roused from slumber in the earth are doing the bidding of a Voice commanding that they indiscriminately burn vampire - mavericks in cities from Paris and Mumbai to Hong Kong and San Francisco.

The read then moves from present day New York to ancient Egypt, 14 th century Rome, and many more. We meet Louis de Pointedu Lac, Armand, Mekare and Maharet , and those are just a few there is a fast varity of characters that grace the pages as the book progresses.

The book's center of course is Lestat , and of course saving the vampire world from destruction , but more importantly just who is the voice ?

As I said I have never read anything from this author before so of course I was a little lost in the book, having not read the rest of the series. The characters were well written and the book even though it had the whole darkness and evil element, made for good entertainment.

I found the author's writing style very creative and easy flowing. Without saying too much more at the risk of ruining this read for others, I will only add that I would have appreciated if the author took a little more time to bring me into the background of the previous books , as to help me understand it all a bit better, but  of course with series one should try to make sure there are other books before starting the one found.

I recommend this read for fans that love a good vampire romance feel book, it had flair, passion and a great plot!

4 star review
" Will they go out with a bang or still be around when the sun rises?" 

*** Available at Random House Struik South Africa